Last week was the Nashville Scene’s ‘Best of’ issue. This larger than usual issue includes all kinds of categories – food, drink, locations, services, etc- that readers and writers vote on.
I was super excited when I picked up my copy…I had a plan!!! Jon and I would visit all – yes, ALL – of the restaurants on the ‘best of’ list. That idea flew out the window when the best – yes, BEST – restaurant in two different counties was Cheddar’s. I have eaten at Cheddar’s and it’s okay…but definitely not the best and it is a chain restaurant! Obviously chain restaurants were allowed, but when I think the best of Nashville I want something that is local. I don’t want a restaurant that I could go to no matter what city I was visiting or living in.
Our challenge, which we have chosen to accept is to visit the Nashville ‘best of’s….with a few caveats:
- We don’t have to visit any national chains (unless we want to!).
- We don’t have to visit categories that do not currently apply to us (examples: best bar to pick up someone , anything having to do with kids, best business lunch).
- If we have previously tried the best of a location we don’t have to re-visit it…unless we want to. There won’t be too many of these though.
- We need to complete this challenge by the end of September 2011 – before next year’s best of issue comes out. This might seem like a long time – until you see how many places there are to visit! Which leads to the next caveat…
- Eateries that are listed in more than one category can be crossed off on the same visit…as long as we experience both ‘best of’s on the visit (best margarita & best cheese dip).
- We must document and share our findings with you 🙂
There are 63 categories, so including repeats that’s 189 places to try!
You can view the entire reader’s poll here: Nashville Scene Best of: Reader’s Poll
Here are some of the Nashville Scene’s writers picks: Nashville Scene Best of: Writer’s Picks